Friday, October 27, 2006

Ceramic Vases by Steve Czerniel



New today, we have beautiful ceramic vases from Steve Czerniel. This is what Steve has to say about his work:
Clay is natural to me. I’ve had my hands in it for over 30 years and expect I will do so for 30 years more. As I continue this fascination with clay, my work continues to evolve. I have recently become curious about what could happen if vessels were made from clay and fired in many pieces, only to be reunited later as one form. Over time, I continue to refine and expand the idea from both a technical and a creative standpoint. When complete, each of my pieces becomes a true individual, no two ever fit back together the same way.
Now, I’ve created a new palette to work with. One that allows me to not only experiment with shape, size and texture, but also an endless combination of vibrant color.
Each piece starts with an idea. I draw it, and then cast it into a plaster mold. I roll out large slabs of clay, and then wrap them around the mold to form a frame and center. Later, I pull the mold from the piece, leaving the clay frame behind. Each tile is individually cut to fill the center and fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. Then it all comes apart. Each frame and tile is dried, sanded and glazed separately. When all the parts have been fired, I piece everything back together again. Each vase comes with a plastic liner cup that will slip into the vase and hold water for fresh flowers.